Junior DevOps Engineer
Other Media is a strategy-led digital agency with a track record of innovative, award-winning work and a diverse portfolio of clients across retail, sport and culture. We match data-driven, strategic insights with delightful customer experiences and seamless systems integration to produce great web and mobile projects. We also invest in ongoing R&D to keep our thinking fresh and our creative and technical teams at the top of their game.
In response to new work and additional work from existing clients we are looking for a Junior DevOps Engineer with some experience of AWS, LEMP, Configuration Management, Magento, and Drupal to join our team and help us to support the next generation of amazing web and mobile experiences for our clients.
We need a capable, motivated Junior DevOps Engineer to take over all aspects of the configuration and maintenance of our computer systems, development pipelines and hosting environments. Do you love tackling problems head-on? Do you enjoy coming up with creative solutions to automating complex tasks? Are you thrilled about learning and using the latest cutting edge technologies? If you can answer “yes” to those questions, you’ll fit in well with our company. We run a fast-paced, casual office in a supportive atmosphere. You’ll be reporting to our Infrastructure Manager who knows our systems and projects inside and out, and you will end up wearing lots of hats and gaining plenty of valuable experience.
Responsibilities and duties
- Manage configuration automation and operation of client website hosting solutions and internal systems
- Use and enhance system monitoring tools, log collectors and notification systems to anticipate and respond to security or usability concerns and reduce noise
- Respond to and resolve help desk requests promptly and courteously
- Work closely with development team members to assist in tooling, automation, logging and infrastructure decisions
- Maintain and continuously improve our Continuous Integration and Continuous Deployment processes and associated tooling
- Administrate and maintain infrastructure including firewalls, databases, malware protection software and other components in both physical and cloud environments
- Provide technical support for hardware and software issues that our team, and clients encounter
- Create and verify backups of data
- 2+ years’ experience in system administration of RedHat Linux 6 or 7 systems
- Relevant qualification in a related field
- Extensive experience with LEMP (Linux, Nginx, MySQL, PHP) and AWS services
- Proficient in Git with experience of BitBucket and GitHub • Experience of SaltStack configuration management or alternatively Chef or Puppet
- Experience of the PHP and Python programming languages, Shell scripting • Familiarity with the Atlassian Suite including JIRA, Confluence and Bamboo
- Experience of automated testing, build and deployment with Bamboo, Jenkins or similar
- Some experience of Varnish, Memcache, Redis, Apache SOLR, Elasticsearch, Beats and Munin
- Optional experience with SELinux • Very good understanding of digital and web application development, preferably in Agile environments
- Ability to respond to help desk requests after hours on a limited basis
We’re a hard working, but compassionate agency, with a fun outlook and a glass half-full mentality. We’re in this together and we succeed as a team with comprehensive on-boarding and induction, 25 days holiday, staff bonus scheme, the last Friday of every month off as a (discretionary) work/life balance day (where there is no Bank Holiday in the month), regular career and personal planning, pension, share options after two years. Salaries are competitive and are according to experience.