Mid-level Android Developer
Other Media is a strategy-led digital agency with a track record of innovative, award-winning work and a diverse portfolio of clients across retail, sport and culture. We match data-driven, strategic insights with delightful customer experiences and seamless systems integration to produce great web and mobile projects. We also invest in ongoing R&D to keep our thinking fresh and our creative and technical teams at the top of their game.
We are looking to grow our mobile development team with an additional Mid-level Android. Responsible for the development and maintenance of applications aimed at a vast number of diverse Android devices, the successful candidate’s primary focus will be the development of Android applications and their integration with back-end services. They will be working either independently or along- side other engineers and designers. Therefore, commitment to collaborative problem solving and creating quality products and code as well as a passion for the Android platform is essential.
- Translate designs and wireframes into high quality Java and Kotlin code.
- Design, build, and maintain high performance, reusable, and reliable code.
- Follow reference designs provided by the creative and UX team with a keen attention to detail, working hand-in-hand with them to ensure an end result that is fast, intuitive and beautiful.
- Provide guidance and advice to the creative and UX team to ensure good use of technology throughout all project work.
- Identify and correct bottlenecks and fix bugs through automated testing.
- Participate constructively in code review by and of existing team members, to drive good working practices throughout the team.
- Help maintain code quality, organisation, and automation.
Skills and experience
- Strong knowledge of Android SDK, Java, Kotlin, different versions of Android, and how to deal with different screen sizes.
- Familiarity with RESTful APIs to connect Android applications to back-end services.
- Strong knowledge of Android UI design principles, patterns, and best practices.
- Experience with offline storage, threading, and performance tuning.
- Familiarity with the use of additional sensors, such as gyroscopes and accelerometers.
- Knowledge of the open-source Android ecosystem and the libraries available for common tasks.
- Ability to understand business requirements and translate them into technical requirements.
- Familiarity with cloud message APIs and push notifications.
- Understanding of Google’s Material design principles and interface guidelines.
- An obsessional enthusiasm for Android as a user and developer.
- Proficient understanding of code versioning tools, such as Git.
- Familiarity with continuous integration
We’re a hardworking and compassionate agency, with a fun outlook and a glass half-full mentality. We’re in this together and we succeed as a team with comprehensive on-boarding and induction, 25 days holiday, staff bonus scheme, the last Friday of every month off as a (discretionary) work/life balance day (where there is no Bank Holiday in the month), regular career and personal planning, pension, and share options after two years.
Salary: Competitive and according to experience
Applicants for this post should send a current CV and a covering letter to email@example.com